The Reese House was originally built in Savannah, Georgia, at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1820, the house was disassembled, the individual pieces were numbered, packed up, and shipped by mule trains to Monticello; making it the oldest in the town. It was reassembled where it now stands, facing Blue Ruin Rd. This road used to serve as a thoroughfare to Eatonton long before Highway 16 was built.
The original house was of a Federal architectural design,with a frame crafted from huge 11” by 11” hand hewn timbers, which were fastened together by wooden pegs. In the 1860’s the columns and portico were added, updating it to the Greek revival fashion of that era. The house was renovated a few more times throughout the next century, but fell into disuse around the 1970’s. In 2014 it was purchased by Judy Hunsucker, who has lovingly restored it in an effort to bring the house back to its former glory.
The house is named after Dr. David Addison Reese (March 3, 1794 December 16, 1871) who was both a politician and a doctor. After Reese graduated from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he opened up a medical practice in Elberton, Georgia. Shortly after, he moved to Monticello.While he lived in Monticello, he was elected to the Georgia Senate and was reelected for a total of five years. He also served as a trustee for the nearby University of Georgia. In 1852 Reese was elected to the House of Representatives as a member of the Whig party. He served one term, and then went back to practicing medicine for the remainder of his life.